Dayton View Historic District
The Dayton View Historic District is a 680-acre (2.8 km2) sector of Dayton developed in the late 19th century consisting of 219 structures in the registry. In 1984, Dayton View was registered on the National Register of Historic Places, Broadway, Harvard Blvd., Superior and Salem Aves. (No. 84003787). City of Dayton Ordinance #25552.
The area’s style and layout should be credited to the vision of James Oliver Arnold, whose farm house still stands at the northwest corner of Superior and Arnold. The original portion of the farmhouse dates to 1832. James Arnold envisioned a grand neighborhood of broad, tree-lined streets graced with large, impressive homes set back comfortably from the street. Reforestation efforts following the loss of Arnold’s distinctive elm trees are reviving Arnold’s dream. Dayton View was historically one of Dayton's most prominent neighborhoods. Today, the neighborhood consists of a diverse mix of residents representing a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds.
Dayton View includes houses of many architectural styles, such as Victorian, Jacobethan, Chateauesque, American Foursquare, and Prairie School architecture. The timeline of the architecture style is dated from the late 1880s through the 1930s. Dayton View, however, is listed on the National Register for Late Victorian and Colonial Revival styles. Dayton View is home to large, architecturally significant homes with elaborate staircases, third-story ballrooms, and carriage houses. The neighborhood is anchored by many of Dayton's most historically significant cultural institutions, as well as Dayton's most historically prominent churches, temples and synagogues (most of which line Salem Avenue). Today, Dayton View is also well known for its richness of socioeconomic and cultural diversity.